Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Today is Fat Tuesday. There was a time in my life when I had spent the past weekend on Bourbon Street, collecting beads and chugging hurricanes with the Phi Delts (Ah! Who am I now??). I did get to live vicariously through some friends via Facebook who have been partying in NOLA for the past few days. I wouldn't be opposed to making that happen again sometime...probably should be sooner rather than later. I'm not getting any younger! Anywhoooo...it's that time when people give something up for Lent. I'm not a Catholic, so I remember growing up this being kind of optional for us Lutherans but I do think about it every year. I did a little Googling to find out with the hip kids are giving up this year. Here are some of the top things that Twitter users are giving up for 40 days (and my consideration for LR's Lent - 2103):

  1. Facebook: I mean, I COULD do it...but I would rather not. I hardly ever post anything, but that is my main news source. (Using "news" loosely...baby, engagement, break-up, vacation, etc.)
  2. Chocolate: I like chocolate, for sure...but this is something I could proabaly handle giving up.
  3. Alcohol: Ha! Not likely, sorry Jesus.
  4. Pop: I'm not a big pop drinker, so this would be easy but easy would also defeat the purpose.
  5. Coffee: For the safety of others, I'm going to say NO WAY!
  6. Meat: I could give up red meat, but not my chicken.
  7. Swearing: I should clean up my mouth a bit...I will put this one on the short list.
  8. Sweets: I LOVE CANDY.
  9. Fried Food: I could do this and I should do this. I don't eat much fried food, but I really should NEVER eat it!
  10. Work: Wait. Is this fer real? Giving up work, must be nice for ya!
  11. Smoking: I don't smoke...so I can't give it up! OR I could give it up and it would be an easy one. Is that cheating?
  12. TV: I don't watch much TV, but the season finale of Downton is next Sunday. Will not miss.
  13. Shopping: Ok, I know that No Shopping was one of my goals for Feb and I have failed. Not to an extreme, but I have shopped. Also, I'm taking a trip to the Lululemon Outlet next weekend, before it closes in March. Can't pass up a good Lulu sale!
  14. Sex: If I was getting any, I wouldn't be giving it up...but I'm not. Still not giving it up, though...and keeping my fingers crossed.
  15. Pancakes: I could DEFINITELY give up pancakes.
To sum it all up, I will be giving up chocolate (to my best ability), red meat, fried food (exeception: Fish Fry during Birkie weekend) and pancakes.

xoxo,
l

No comments:

Post a Comment